Our three feedback sessions are:
Thursday, May 20, 4:15 pm PT / 7:15 pm ET
Tuesday, May 25, 3 pm PT / 6 pm ET
Wednesday, May 26, 5:30 pm PT / 8:30 pm ET
Bring a small amount of writing (1-2 double-spaced pages) to share with your peers and mentors at one of our feedback sessions. You're welcome to attend the session without having something to share. We love to hear your feedback!
For all of our live sessions, we use the same Zoom link:
You may need a password, too: OnwardDW!
HOW TO PREPARE TO SHARE:
- Prepare your scene. Clearly mark where it starts and ends. We'll ask you to share your screen when it is your turn, and either you or one of our mentors or counselors will read it aloud.
- Bring a question or two for us to reflect on, so that we can be helpful as you share your work.
Possible questions include:
- What do you know about my character so far? What do you wonder?
- What parts of the scene were most tense? Were there any parts where you didn't feel enough tension?
- What parts of the scene made you laugh? Do you see other opportunities for humor?
- I want this scene to be more active, but I'm not sure how the characters can do anything other than sit and talk. Could we brainstorm possibilities?
- I'm not sure my character's motivation is clear. Why do you think this character is acting the way they're acting?
- I'm just about finished with this scene, but I am looking for places where any last questions might be unanswered. Are there any parts where you need a bit more information?
Remember: When you bring a scene for feedback, bring one that is still in process rather than one that you feel is 100% complete. We assume you want us to answer your questions and provide responses beyond "I love it!" Don't be afraid to bring a scene that you're stumped about ... that's what your fellow writers are for! We'd love to help you see your work with fresh perspective, and we promise not to tell you "You should ..." We prefer to say things like "I wonder what might happen if ..."
3. Email your mentor before the session so we know how many pieces to expect.
For Tuesday or Thursday sessions, email Naomi: email@example.com
For Wednesday sessions, email Sonja: firstname.lastname@example.org
We're looking forward to seeing what you're working on, and to supporting you as you continue drafting onward!